Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Grateful Today For...

It's amazing to me how easy it is to slip into a "blah" mindset. All too often, I get wrapped up in the trials and tribulations of day to day life until they're all I see, i.e., until my struggles of the moment are the only thing I really notice in my life.

Perspective is so important, and it's always refreshing for me to -- proverbially speaking -- wade back into that pond. It's comforting to remember the fact that my problems are temporary; and it's humbling to remember that we all have our own problems -- and that many folks' problems are far more dire than my own.

That line of thinking is not intended to be self-effacing. My life is the only one I have, and my problems necessarily affect me. Still, the statement above is a great reminder that I have much in my life for which to be grateful, even if these things aren't readily apparent.

I have a mind, after all, and can think. So here goes nothing: here's what I'm grateful for today.

-My job. I have a fascinating, challenging job that often puts me in contact with all sorts of interesting people.
-My job (again). I earn a steady income, which enables me to take care of my basic needs of food, shelter, and clothing, as well as a number of additional needs/wants.
-This Chromebook, and the Internet. It is only during the past 20 or so years that human beings, en masse, have had means to instantly broadcast their thoughts, ideas, and opinions for all the world to see. I find that exercise deeply satisfying, and I do not wish to take it for granted; thus, I am grateful.
-My tattoos. They remind me that there is more to me than meets the eye, which is a reminder I need to give myself periodically.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment